Why Using A Damp Meter Could Save You Thousands On Your Property
Moisture meters, otherwise known as damp meters, are a well-known tool used in lots of industries like woodwork, construction and home inspection. However, what many homeowners don’t realise is that owning a moisture meter themselves provides many benefits and on this basis of use, there’s no need to be qualified in any field to use one successfully.
What Is A Moisture Meter/ Damp Meter?
A moisture meter is a tool used to successfully identify the levels of moisture in a material or surface. There are three main types of moisture meter – pin-type, pinless and all in one. The pin types have two pins attached which are driven into the test material. The two pins then conduct electricity and the measurement comes from the electricity conducted between the two pins. Pinless moisture metres use electromagnetic waves to detect moisture in a surface and are non-invasive, unlike pin-types. All in one moisture metres provide the user with the option to use either types of technology to detect moisture.
For a homeowner, the all in one type would be the best option as it would provide the ability to test various different types of surface in the relevant way. For example, if you wanted to test the moisture in the timber on the decking outside, the pin-type would be suitable, however if you wanted to see how much moisture was behind your bathroom tiles, the pinless type would be more effective.
What Would A Homeowner Use A Moisture Meter For?
There are many uses a moisture meter could have within the home. With DIY decorating jobs the meter can be used to check the levels of dryness in a surface between stages of decorating – IE whether or not concrete is completely dry before applying paint or carpet. It can be used to check the moisture levels behind tiles, the moisture level in woodwork or wood panelling and to check the moisture levels behind painted walls.
The most important reason a homeowner would use a moisture meter is to detect damp. Damp and mould can cause absolutely devastating issues with a property and for those that live within it. The longer damp is undetected or left undealt with, the worse it gets and the more problems it causes. It can affect:
Personal Property – Damp and mould can damage and destroy not only items it comes into contact with, but items within contact with the air around it. Damp walls and mould make the air moist and can cause items in direct contact with it, or nearby to spoil, rot and completely deteriorate very quickly. Items like clothes, books, photographs, furniture, carpets and rugs can be completely destroyed by damp and mould.
Property Structure – Damp can cause huge structural damage to a home that can be extremely expensive to put right. It can cause peeling paint, attract pests or invasive insects, cause wood rot, cause pier subsidence, crack or split wood, crack brickwork and cause a building to shift.
Health – Mould is known to cause health issues such as respiratory problems. Safety is also an issue in houses with damp and mould, particularly if structural damage has occurred.
It’s not difficult to see that damp and mould can cause thousands of pounds worth of damage to a property, and that’s without even considering the health costs and sentimental cost of having precious books, photographs and other items potentially destroyed. A good damp meter should be seen as an investment, enabling you to detect damp in your property early, saving you thousands of pounds in the long run.